Thursday, January 14, 2010

Like Jabez

When we know and realize that we have the lovingkindness of God surrounding us, we need not fear or doubt to make profound prayers to our Lord. We can be assured that they will be answered, for the Lord Himself promises us to do so.

Psalm 91:15 (New International Version)
He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.

One of the most profound prayer made in the Bible is the prayer of Jabez. There is no much details given about Jabez except for two verses.

1 Chronicles 4:9-10 (New International Version)
9 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request.

Jabez came forth giving pain and was thus named. How much of pain he would have seen in his life to make this a profound prayer. And the beauty of his whole life is that, God answered his prayer.

Let us make a profound prayer to our God this year knowing that He will answer it just the way He answered Jabez. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Is not jabez prayer also about not being 'shy'
    to ask the Lord to 'enlarge our territory'
    Thank you as always. I will be in Blore from 20 to 25
    hope we can meet up.
    With Love & Prayers
    judith

    ReplyDelete