Monday, September 7, 2009

Dwelling our Minds

Have any of us ever been in a situation where we allow our minds (or thought process) to take off for a day? Nope. I don’t think that happens, except when we fall ill and when we are too tired to think. Most of the time when we are awake we are thinking. We think of the tasks that we do or need to do, things that happened or are going to happen, people, life, plans, problems, concerns, etc.

Our mind is full of thoughts. I have always wondered what kinds of thoughts are healthy and spiritual and will come under God’s approval. For our thoughts determine the way we feel, in making decisions, molding attitude and framing our perceptions.

King David prayed [in Ps 19:14 (NASB)]
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”

What a prayer to imitate. I have made this my personal prayer too. But before I start meditating I need to be cautious about what my mind is dwelling on every single day. It may be day to day affairs or ordinary things; the things which I allow my mind to continuously dwell upon do matter.

When pondered this I found the answer in Philippians 4:8(NASB)
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is right, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”

This scripture sounds like a simple exhortation but when looked at with pause and consideration it is quite powerful.

When taken lightly one can say, ‘I am thinking right or good.’ But considered again in the light of God one can know the truth. We can always realign our thoughts with the above scripture, especially with the thoughts we often dwell on…

1 comment:

  1. We hardly stop thinking. I guess we do it only when we are asleep.
    A good devotion yet again in which u have taught us to align our thoughts with that of our Father's, so that whatever we may be thinking be right and pure.
    AMEN

    ReplyDelete