Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do we really mean it?

Many times we just say things just for the sake of saying it without really meaning what we say. Especially in the Christian circle we so often say "I will pray for you". But to be honest do we really do it? It may not just be with prayers alone. We may sometimes very casually say things without doing it committedly. But this is not right in God's eyes. The bible calls it 'mere talk'. Saying things for the sake of it.
Prov 14:23 (NIV) says that
"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty".
What sort of poverty does the Bible refer here? Poverty in all terms - in relationships, business as it affects the esteem of the mere talker. So let us be careful when we say something. Let us mean what we really say and not out of obligation. And if we have done it let us stand by it.

5 comments:

  1. Well said Irene...
    It's very important for a person to understand that he should always live by his word...
    God Bless u always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Irene. I have too, in the past "mere-talked" . But will remember to be sincere in my prayers , the next time I promise someone !

    I am a new comer to your blogs, and I have added your blog link in my favourites now !

    Thanks ! God Bless..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rads,
    What you said is so true!!!
    I have said that so many times and not prayed for them. Thanks for keeping me real.

    Love you lots,
    Lads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.... this has made me think. I rarely tell people that I will pray for them but I have said this at times and then not really prayed. So now I know that I could not possibly just say things and forget about it. Thanks and well written

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey friends

    Thanks for all your feedback. It is not only just about praying. It is also other things like we may say we will call back but would not have done that. Or sometimes we would just say things either for curtosey or for obligation without really meaning it. I have done such things a lot but I have come to realise that I cannot afford to talk just like that without meaning it. This devotion is a powerful realization to me too.

    ReplyDelete