Sunday, August 16, 2009

Boiling?

Eph 4:26 (NASB)
Be ANGRY, and yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger

I have heard people say ‘It’s not Christ-like to be angry.’ I knew what they meant: - ‘It is not Christ-like to respond in anger.’
Anger like any other negative emotion is unavoidable. But the way we choose to express our anger is what really matters. When we get angry over some issue or someone, how do we choose to express it? Do we quarrel, yell, argue, use slang language or abusive words, throw things or bang the door?
Though anger is unavoidable, its outburst can.
We all know what the scripture talks about anger and understand it quite well. Yet at times when it comes to applying in real life, it becomes difficult. I have often struggled with controlling outbursts of anger. I sometimes have whacked my kid (mildly though) in anger or have used slang when badly provoked. I know there is no reason to justify one’s outbursts of anger. We can always stop, consider and respond in a Christ-like manner.
I have prayed a lot about the issue, asking the Holy Spirit of God to give me self-control, to selectively express my anger or at times refrain from it. And it’s a long process of learning.
I have been remorseful at times and it dawned on me that it takes time to really get trained in our minds. Our personalities are different. For some it may be easy to learn this lesson and for some hard. And for the fruit of the spirit (self-control) to really soak in our beings and change our personalities it takes effort and time.
Whatever be it, as long as we are continually in the process of learning to express our anger in a matured manner, we are not in the path of committing a habitual sin.

Prayer:
Lord, help me to express my anger in a matured way and not to sin when angry. I pray that your spirit will give me more of self-control, so that I may refrain from expressing feelings in an inappropriate way.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...I was thinking about this today and thankyou for sharing the same thought with me!
    Though having self-control during anger is difficult it's not impossible by the strength and grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started from this day with your prayer to seek the Holy Spirit to help me in express my anger productively and not by hurting others in the process.

    Thankyou Irene.

    ReplyDelete